Bucks SEND IAS
On 1 September 2014 Buckinghamshire Parent Partnership changed its name to Buckinghamshire SEND Information, Advice and Support Service - Bucks SEND IAS Service for short. This is in line with national guidelines and in response to the Children and Families Act 2014.
SEND IAS provides impartial information, advice and support to parents and carers of children with special educational needs - ie parents of children who are receiving additional support in school or early years settings, parents who have a child that is going through Statutory Assessment or who already has a Statement of special educational needs.
How we help
Many children, at some time in their school career, will have special educational needs of some kind. The Code of Practice gives practical advice on how to identify and assess special educational needs.
As parents of a child who may have special educational needs you have a very important part to play in helping your child to make the most of school. The people you meet in school and the staff of the local authority will all want to help you do this.
The help we provide is impartial:
- Advice and information on school's responsibilities
- Advice and information on the assessment process
- Help finding an Independent Parental Supporter
- Help with the paperwork!
- Information on your rights as a parent
- Information on local voluntary organisations
Who can you talk to?
- Your Independent Parental Supporter
- Your child's teacher, and the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) in the school
- Other people working with your child, such as the Educational Psychologist, Speech Therapists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Paediatrician, etc
- Education Welfare Officer
Please note: At present our helpline is answered in English, if this is not your first language please ask an English speaker to ring for you, we can then arrange an interpreter to help.
Our mission statement
Bucks SEND IAS supports social and educational inclusion by valuing the individual ability of all children and young people. We are committed to providing a quality service to help parents support their children to achieve to the best of their ability.